Thursday, June 4, 2009

These Boots Were Made For Working...

I've been here exactly a week now, and I couldn't have asked for a better dream-come-true summer! Every morning, I lace up my boots and look out at the deer from my bedroom window and know this is EXACTLY where I want to be. Almost everyone has been super supportive of my decision to move to Colorado, and while some situations didn't turn out as I had hoped, I know I can turn out for the better from those. If people don't support me following my dreams, then those aren't the people I want to interact with.

Each day I am here makes me miss Flagstaff less and less. I've caught myself contemplating what I would say if I were ever asked to stay here full-time. I know that's not an option at all, but I surprise myself by having no real problem with dropping out of school to just do this. I guess my dream job of teaching in the school year and being a ranger in the summers wouldn't be terrible at all. Most of the BCO people either are or were (currently retired) teachers, so this seems like it would work. I've also mentioned wanting to live in Colorado before, and I couldn't imagine anywhere better than here!

Kendall and I explored downtown a little last night after leaving the library and ate dinner at a little restaurant that I have fond memories of. When my family was at ROMO a few summers ago, it poured to the point that we came into town one day and hung out in the library. After that, we braved the water to walk down about a block and a half to the same restaurant. I don't know why details like that stick in my mind, but I know I still have the coloring sheet from the kid's menu somewhere back at home.

I was given my first "projects" today, but the best part is that they were things I came up with on my own that got Barry super pumped! I had to go about finding all the resources, but they will be done by tomorrow afternoon! Also today, I ended up helping a lady who came in to pick up 33 permits for part of the Cheley Summer Camp excursions. I had to enter the trip leader name and license plate number for each permit, and Todd and Vic were keeping an eye on me for a bit. When they saw how fast I was going, they ended up just writing the parking permits but commented on how they couldn't keep up with the newbie! (Joking of course) When I finished, she double checked all of the permits and I didn't make a single mistake. After she left, Todd and Vic told me that was the fastest the Cheley permits have ever gone. Everyone keeps commenting on how quickly I've been picking up on things, and I just feel great about it all!

Aaron and I took the trash and recycling out in the early afternoon and had to drive towards the dumpsters. When we drove up, a huge buck elk crossed right in front of the car. (It had to have been one of the biggest I've seen so far, but part of that could have been due to how close it was!) As I pointed it out, another dozen bucks followed a few paces behind and they all went to eat at a huge pile of what I thought was just dirt. When we drove back to the BCO, they were close enough we could have reached out of the car to touch and it was just so cool. I asked Aaron if I am ever going to get tired of seeing them since he was here last year too, and he said that will only happen when the visitors block traffic because they are getting out taking pictures.

My mailbox is completely set up as of today, and I get to start wearing my uniform tomorrow because I found a belt I can borrow until mine comes in. (Be prepared for pictures at some point soon) Aubry and I have our first hike day Saturday, and are getting excited about our ten-mile excursion in the NE corner of the park.

Now, I will leave you with a quote from one of Barry's rocks that is keeping me going this week when I have that *don'twanttogetoutofbedforstupidreasons* feeling before looking out the window..."Where ever your journey takes you, there is beauty there waiting to be discovered."

No comments:

Post a Comment