Monday, June 1, 2009

Cloud Mountains

One of the downsides of this summer is the tourist-town aspect. While I am loving Estes Park, the town is really small and everything is super expensive here. Taking that into account, I drove to Boulder, CO on my day off today to get some things at Target. The drive is just under an hour, but it's worth it even for the gas that is about 50 cents cheaper in Lyons! The road winds through the mountains and hills and I don't think Crayola has come up with enough shades of green to even begin describing the drive.

I just got into town on the way back and stopped at the Library since Dad said he left a comment when we talked. The sun is just beginning to set though and there have been thunderstorms on and off all day. Because of this, the clouds are all down in the mountains and blend in with the snow-capped peaks. Rain is sprinkling down from some of the higher clouds, but the sun hits the water as it falls which illuminates sections of the sky. On the drive this morning (at 6am, ugh) from Denver to our house, Kendall and I were talking about how we hope this feeling of amazement doesn't go away.

Every morning when I wake up and look out my window, it's a completely new experience. I think most of that is due to the sky. The changes in blues or the location/color of the clouds make everything look completely different each day. The breath-taking views of the mountain aren't getting old either and neither are the dozens upon dozens of elk and deer. When we pulled up this morning, there were about nine white-tailed deer sitting on the side of our driveway in the grass and all you could see were their ears sticking up. How can anyone get sick of that? Even further, when I am surrounded by all this natural beauty, it makes me wonder how anyone can even really think there's not something more out there making this all happen.

One more exciting thing before I sign off for the night--I am getting internet at the house! Mom helped me contact Verizon and I am going to get a cord either tomorrow or Wednesday that hooks my phone into my computer. Using this, I will be able to update this much more easily, and I will be able to post more pictures. Since we had internet access in Denver last night, I was able to use my own computer. Here at the library though I don't want my pictures to be going onto public computers. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that and packing up to go drive around and take pictures of yet another ROMO sunset with the cloud mountains as my background tonight.

1 comment:

  1. You are quite the writer, Megs! Very descriptive and insightful. I am thoroughly enjoying 'seeing' your experiences along with you. Thanks for keeping this up!
    Love you!
    Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete