Monday, June 22, 2009

Five Degrees of Separation

Father's Day was amazing and was in fact the first Father's Day where I received a gift!! Dad and I woke up to go to breakfast at Coffee on the Rocks and then I headed in to work and he hung out in the park and in Estes for the day. Afterwards we went to check out the Stanley Hotel and had dinner at Bob and Tony's Pizza before heading back home. I got him some things and a really sappy card, but then he came into my room that night with a book that he had written his own sappy note in. The book is A Sand County Almanac and the back of the cover says it should be placed on the bookshelf with John Muir and Thoreau. He said my writing is reminding him of reading that book so I am anxious to read it myself!

Today was my first solo hike day, but Dad was able to come along. On the bus on the way to the first trailhead (we left my car at a different one so it would only be a ten mile hike instead of having to go all the way back), we talked with the bus driver and the only other person on the bus--a lady from Chicago who is a teacher. While talking, we found out she has good friends in Flagstaff and she made a comment about the five degrees of separation. I really think there is something to that...how each person is connected in a way to another. If you go with the whole Noah story or even earlier about the beginning, then we are all even more connected than we think but even without that, its hard to not see the links between people.

At a party at the guys' house next door (yes, we finally met them!!), Kendall and I met more people because it was a fire crew party and we hadn't met most of those guys. Even so, it seems like they are connected in different ways and I found out one of them who lives there actually was in my first forestry class last semester. Kendall and I have decided we are throwing something at our place on Saturday night, so hopefully we will be able to meet even more people.

We have been fitting in a lot more now. Girls are still a little hesitant, but we have been meeting lots of guys. Part of that might be because there is a shortage of girls in the park as Kendall said earlier, but we are even meeting guys from the YMCA camp which is really fun! We were going to have a movie night tonight with Connor and Shawn but changed it when we heard the plans for next door. Those two are lots of fun to hang out with though and Connor actually got me to dance at The Rock on Friday night!

Tomorrow night is a BCO+1 staff party so I need to make fruit salad for that and then Wednesday night is bowling with the Y. This weeks theme is the 80s and we are going as the breakfast club with Connor, Shawn, Scott, and Patrick. If our costumes win we get cash prizes which are always welcome!

I am going to start reading the book and will update with thoughts I'm sure. Tomorrow morning Dad and I are going to get more cinnamon rolls before I work at 10am and I am sure that will completely make my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment