Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Yellow Post-It Notes

Earlier this summer, Alissa, Aubrey, Hannah, and I reorganized the bathroom. This sounds strange, but take a look at the pictures and imagine the chaos that was there before we started:
Barry had quotes on the wall all over, written on yellow post-it notes. To clean those up, I typed them all up and then we cut the words of wisdom into strips to put in between the pictures. We loved being able to read all of them and kept a copy each so that we could think back to those words whenever we need to, so here are some of my favorites...

  • Always leave early enough to drive in the slow lane –BS 2000
  • Throw your hands in the air. What do you have to lose?
  • The one who dies with the most fun points wins
  • “…I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” –Philippians 4:11b-13
  • Friends don’t let friends lead ordinary lives.
  • The sun will shine again. –KU 2007
  • Some make the world go round, others watch it turn. –Jimmy Buffett
  • Please excuse my tree-colored business suit.
  • Because you were extravagantly forgiven, you may extravagantly forgive. –Mike Dascoli 2004
  • A gift left on the porch is garbage. –Neil Coen 2004
  • People that are nice don’t take long to make friends with. –Landon Sweet 1997
  • God can do financial insecurity if you let her. –Annie Larson 2009
  • When something evolves, everything around that thing evolves. –The Alchemist
  • “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” –MLK Jr.
  • The purest suffering products the purist understanding
  • Inquire don’t accuse
  • I am on my path.
  • Much of success in life comes in the creating of a convincing argument
  • I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. –Bill Cosby
  • “Friendship is certainly the finest balm.” –Jane Austen
  • We the unwilling led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little, we are qualified to do everything with nothing.
  • I believe in life before death.
  • Don’t be afraid of death. Be instead afraid of the unlived life.
  • Let someone off the hook today. –Barry Sweet 1997
  • “Do not ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and then go out and do that because what the world needs is people who come alive.” –Anonymous
  • Whether I will run far or long remains to be seen. I just want to run well. –AS 2004
  • Life is saturated with examples and stories of great men and women of history who had someone who believed in them even when they didn’t fully believe in themselves. –Michael Angier
  • Oil is the problem.
  • Nobody’s life is pretty and neat and if they say it is, they’re lying. –Ian Schwartz 2007
  • Last night my house burned down. Now my view of the mountains is better. –Peter Allen 2008
  • Many men go fishing without knowing that it is not fish they are after. –Thoreau
  • Heat and pressure make diamonds.
  • Reasonable minds can differ.
  • I free myself not necessarily by struggling to be free but by simply noticing how I imprison myself at the time that I imprison myself
  • It can’t rain forever. Some day the sun has got to come out again.
  • How can I fix this problem with creativity, style, and flair??
  • No one can ever take your education away. –Jeff Daniels 2007
  • Two ways to do it: Make more or want less.
  • The best quote I’ve ever heard is: true champions expect pain, endure pain, and never complain.
  • I’ve learned that no matter how good a friend is, they’re going to hurt you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that.
  • Be mindful of your contributions to the community pool…
    Conscious and unconscious
    Aware and unaware
    Paused and automatic
    Non-toxic and toxic
    Clear communication and unclear communication…
  • If you can attain your goal in this lifetime it is not a worthy goal
  • Providence has a thousand keys
    To open a thousand sundry doors
    For the deliverance of his own
    When it is even come
    To a desperate case.
    --Mrs. C. E. Cowman
  • The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater. –J. R. Tolkien
  • Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength. –Hoffer
  • It’s a great leap forward in life when one learns not to strive for perfection –DK 2004
  • Be intentional with your PDC’s (Positive Daily Contributions)
  • Wherever you go, find the people who love to laugh and hang out with them –BS 1998
  • It is my belief
    That each of us
    Has the power
    and responsibility
    To make a contribution
    To help our world
    Become a better place
    For all to live. –BS 1996
  • The next time someone tells you a story or shares an accomplishment with you, notice your tendency to say something about yourself in response.
  • “Wesa ina pitty bad goo” –Jar Jar Binks
  • “Dats muy bigo oucho” –Jar Jar Binks
  • “Maybe wesa bein friends” –Boss Nass
  • I had dreams for my life; My life had dreams for me –Laine Johnson 2008
  • Need is finite, want is infinite
  • The best things in life are not things
  • The best kids always keep sight of the boundary of the sandbox. –Brian Gilbert 2004
  • Every Problem has 100 Solutions
  • We are each responsible for making a conscious, intentional, positive, daily, contribution to the Community Pool
  • “I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel.” –Rodeerick Saig Brown
  • Notice: Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success. –Ernest Shackleton
  • “I am not a teacher, but an awakener” –Robert Frost
  • The aim of education must be the training of independently acting and thinking individuals who see in the service to the community their highest life achievement. –Albert Einstein
  • In every life, no matter how full or empty one’s purse, there is tragedy…
    It is the one promise life always fulfills…
    Thus, Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to people’s store of it
  • “Learn to walk in any environment in bare feet. Once learned, shift the same walk to modern footwear. Walk so each step blesses the earth.” –Tom Brown
  • Isn’t it wonderful that no one has to wait one moment to start to change the world? –Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment