Sunday, May 10, 2009

Packing Up, Getting Ready to Go

I can't believe it's almost here. I've spent the past week moving everything from my room into the tiny cubicle we call "the shed" on the back porch, but there's something mildly upsetting about seeing all my favorite things crammed into the space next to the water heater. As RMNP gets closer, I keep getting more and more hesitant about what is lying ahead this summer. I know I will be fine once I get there, but I keep thinking about how much I am going to miss in Flagstaff as life moves on without me here, but maybe this is just a taste of life after graduation next year?...

Yesterday, Bekha and I drove around town to try and find her some furniture since she is finishing moving in as our third roommate for next year. At a second-hand shop downtown, we found the perfect desk for her, but it definitely wasn't the perfect desk for my car. The main desk part was too big for us to even think about carrying and fitting into my car, but the shelf-section came off and was light enough for us to carry. From our eyeball-analysis, we figured the section would fit into the car, so off we went. The sight of the two of us crossing the street and walking to my car with half a desk was quite amusing, and we got a few laughs from some cars that drove by. Once we got the car, I unlocked it and we tried to get it in from all sorts of different angles, but it was NOT working. A man dressed in typical downtown fashion (tie-dye shirt, torn-up pants, scruffy face) was walking by and immediately stopped to help us. He told me to go around to the other side of the car and help guide while he positioned the furniture piece to go into the car. The whole time, he reminded me to be careful not to scrape the roof of the car, and somehow he managed to get the thing to fit. When we finished, he wished us a happy day with the beautiful weather, and disappeared down the street. Bekha and I looked at each other in amazement and mentioned how we could have ended up in a completely different situation if we had been in either of our hometowns (Phoenix or Bakersfield). There's just something about Flagstaff that makes people go out of their way to be nice to one another, and I really hope I can find that atmosphere in Estes Park this summer too.

I have been watching my "TO-DO" list grow and shrink the past three days as I complete tasks and then remember more things I need to do before I go. Now, I'm down to a phone call, bank stop, oil change, gas in the car, and packing.

Packing.

It's not that I don't want to pack, in fact I usually enjoy the spacial organization aspect of fitting things into a small area, whether it be a suitcase or the trunk of a car. The difference this time is that I am not coming home for much longer than usual. It's hard to look around my room right now and realize that everything I see that is left in here has to fit into my car one way or another for that fourteen hour drive that's coming faster than I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment