Thursday, May 28, 2009

Home, Home on the Range

I am finally here.

Every uncertainty I had about being here this summer was completely washed away last night after I dropped Aaron off at the airport and looked through my windshield. As the sun was setting through the clouds, the snow-capped peaks were just staring at me, beckoning me home. The way the sun sets like that--through the clouds--always makes me smile. It's the kind of sunset where you can see the beams and it's almost as if someone up there is shining down the light to let you know everything is going to be ok.

The car ride was quite eventful. We woke up at 5am so I could shower and finish loading the car. When we got out to it, Aaron noticed the tires looked low so we checked the pressure and it was down to 10psi in a few of the tires. After figuring out how to get the bike on the rack, we drove to Conoco to fill air only to find out the hose leaked. We had more luck at Varsity Gasser, and were on our way by 6:15am. Lunch was in Moab, UT...one of my absolute favorite places I've been. I drove the entire six hours from home to lunch, and we only made one other stop in that time to get gas in Bluff, UT.

After lunch, I crashed for an interruted hour when Aaron woke me up to see the fire on the side of the road, the state line, and then our next gas stop in Grand Junction. I couldn't really sleep after that but the hour definitely helped. We held our breath through the tunnels and stopped at No Name Rest Stop aka the most gorgeous rest stop I've ever seen. We stopped there last summer on the way to Denver for the International Horn Convention, and I made sure we found it again. If you are ever travelling E on I70, it's definitely worth the stop. Aaron drove the rest of the way to the airport and I dropped him off without crying and went on my way for the last two hours.

I managed to get lost twice, but finally made it to Estes Park where Kendall was waiting for me in a parking lot. Kendall is a girl I met and sat next to in my second forestry class last semester. She got a job in Dispatch at RMNP this summer, and she texted me while I was still in China to tell me we are roommates! She met me and we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant where she bought me a beer :) then we went to Safeway to get basic groceries like lunch stuff. I followed her to the house after that, and got stuck twice on our driveway because it breaks off into a long dirt road.

By this point, it was 10pm so I couldn't see anything around me like what the yard looked like. We parked the cars though and I went in to take a look around. When you walk in the front door, there is a deep closet on the left that has a dirt floor with bones from SOMETHING in the back. To the right is a one-car garage that we probably won't use because there are also rat turds all over the floor that are freaking us out. One of the four bedrooms is also downstairs and the only way to get to that is through the garage, so we probably won't use that.

Straight ahead are the stairs, which lead to the other three rooms, kitchen, pantry, living room, and deck. I'm getting kicked off the computer right now because I'm at the Estes Park Library. That's another thing...no internet at home and these computers don't allow Facebook! I'm going to have to start bringing my laptop for the free wifi.

I'll try to write more tomorrow after our drive across the park. My phone usually works though, so keep in touch people!

The house in daytime...

No comments:

Post a Comment